Yesterday, I talked to a new member from my self defense class. His name's Sylvain and he's from France and he came to Vancouver because of the Olympics. He's middle aged - looks about 40ish - and is kinda balding. Anyway, after the class, he asked if I had facebook and I told him I didn't use it anymore, and then he asked me for my number and said I could call him if I wanted to party sometime. I reluctantly gave him my number, honestly feeling really guarded.
Then today when I was a block away from home, a construction worker started talking to me. The first thing he said was "Don't you have anyone to call?" which confused me. Apparently he'd seen the cell phone in my hand next to my leg instead of next to my ear. Then he talked about my hair, and by that time, I was walking past him. I felt so uncomfortable talking to him, a total stranger. Plus, he was also middle aged. He asked me if I was going home, if I had just finished school, and what grade I was in.
Oh, and also a random fact: I look younger than I actually am, being asian. People usually mistake me as around 16, depending on where I am.
So, my question is what do you think about me being weirded out by these two events? Or do you find it totally fine and normal for a middle aged guy on the streets to start up a conversation with someone who looks as young as I do? Or for a middle aged person to just ask for a younger girl's number? They weren't being creepy or anything - if they were my age, I wouldn't have considered it strange, but being so much older, I find it odd.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Whoa, that was weird. I don't... I don't think it's normal for an older guy to ask for someone young's number, especially without knowing them well. It's totally normal to feel weird right now, I mean you don't know them. And the construction worker seems creepy. If someone was talking about my hair and all that, I'd be running for the hills (or mountains). I think you did the right thing just walking on. He doesn't need to know all that about you.
ReplyDeleteyeah i know it's probably very uncomfortable when someone balding approaches you in this way.
ReplyDelete=(